Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mortal Phobia

Ok, so most readers that see this blog know that my professional occupation is to sell insurance and mutual funds. If you dont know, please click on the farmers.com link to your left and contact me to see how I might be able to protect and build your assets you've worked so hard to get ;P. Now that I've got my one-liner out of the way, let me tell you guys what i came up against this last tuesday night.

It was about 8:30 pm and I was out in a "questionable" neighborhood at an appointment I had with a new customer for renter's insurance. We went through his belongings and took pics of it all so we could prove ownership in the case of a claim, bla bla bla... Then as we were concluding our walk through, the customer asked, "By the way, do you include coverage on firearms?" I figured well yeah sure, it's property right? and it's of value right? so, "Sure, of course we do," was my firm and quick reply. As he sighs relief about what his great new renter's insurance can do for him, he whips out this .380 semi-automatic BRYCO ARMS gun (similar to the one you'll see on this link) and throws it onto his bed and signals for me to take pics of it. For those who dont know, i am petrified, mortified, scared to the piont of peeing and pooping in my pants at the sight of a gun. I tried holding one before and scared my church youth minister because i was kinda waiving it the wrong way, if you get what i mean.

So anyways, as I get through faking the fact that guns don't scare me, the client decides to also whip out his MAVERICK 12 gauge to help supplement my mortal fear of the lethal weapons. At this point I'm starting to pale up a bit (not like it matters cuz i got some melanin to spare anyways right?) and decide that this was a good time to have a conversation about why he feels the needs to have 2 weapons at his bedside. He was telling me about how some guys tried stealing his car and that he ran out with his one gun to stop them and said that he was so happy about how effective of a theft deterrent it was he figured a second one would not hurt. Thankfully I made it out without any holes... I think.

But here's where my reflection begins. There was a thought that ran my mind as I was driving home that night. There are many mortal weapons within my reach really...like kitchen knives and my driving. I know I can scare people with the way I drive but I have rarely felt a fear of death through my insane driving. When I was in college, I would drive my father's car to about 230 kph in some road stretches while driving back home (go on, do the transfer formula or go to your car to figure that out). It was a rush but never though about dying while driving that fast though.

Another thought was that "Wait a minute!" I'm Mexican how can I be scared of guns we practically use them as fireworks in most holidays back home. Moreover if i'm supposed to live up to the stereotype some have placed on my people. I should be sleeping with one under the pillow and be able to take them apart and re-assemble in my sleep. Sorry to disappoint but i can't. So that's that.

Overall, I am just glad to say that I did survive my brush with death and will be able to continue blogging for everyone's enjoyment. Hasta Luego!

4 Comments:

Blogger kysila said...

I'm terrified of guns too!!!

July 15, 2005 9:12 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I would think you'd be pretty comfortable around guns by now. After all, you've been carrying around those two guns you call biceps as long as I've known you.

July 15, 2005 9:32 PM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

Josue,

Speaking as a fellow Mexican...you're scared of guns? Hah! Anyway, love your blog, love Debbie's too.

Jeremiah (your favorite freshman who's about to be a senior

July 26, 2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

you're FUNNY.

August 05, 2005 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home